I love seasons. I love autumn when the leaves begin to change and the wind starts blowing and it's just a little cooler in the evenings. I love the white of winter, or the sound of the rain outside my window while I sleep and the fires that are so inviting to curl up in front of. I love spring when the flowers bud and the sun begins to warm everything, but it's not too hot. But my favorite time of year is when the sun goes down in the summertime. Summer nights are my absolute favorite time of day, season, and year. I love to feel the warm breeze on my face, and hear the crickets and the nocturnal birds sing their songs. I love that it is dark and I'm not cold. I love to smell the warmth that is still left over from the day. I love looking up at the deep blue sky and seeing the stars sparkle by the millions.
Right now I'm sitting outside - the only one on campus on the lawn after the sun's gone down. It could be considered odd, but why would I stay in my room when it's so inviting outside? I know that it is not summer yet, and in a few days the temperatures will fall again and the rains will more than likely return. However, this night is a promise. A promise that spring has ushered winter out and will soon be announcing summer's arrival. I'm reminded of home. The crickets are singing. As I look down the hill from where my dorm stands I can see the city lights of Salem - a scaled down version of the cities surrounding my mountain home. The only thing missing is all those stars...and the smell of the horses nearby.
No comments:
Post a Comment