The alarm went off at 6:00 a.m. As usual, the snooze button was pushed twice, but I didn't notice until the digital numbers read 6:18. I crawled out of bed and prepared for the day. When I walked out to my car, the darkness was barely dissipating as I got in my truck and began my journey.
My first claim is that the directions were wrong. That's all there is to it. They were wrong.
The directions told me to get on I-84 from the I-5. However, the exit to The Dalles told me to get on the 84 from the 205. So, naturally that's what I did. I obediently hopped on the I-84 east and began counting the streets until 58, realizing that the exits were rising numerically instead of declining. I exited the freeway and turned around. Going west now, I discovered that there was no exit onto 58th street! "They must mean 52nd Street," I reasoned. I found 60th (the next turning point) from 52nd and followed it to Hawthorne. The directions said, "Turn left onto Hawthorne." That would've led me over a curb, through a chain link fence, and across the very well kept lawn of Warner Pacific University. So, I opted to turn right instead. Hawthorne Avenue is a residential street set deep inside a residential area. There was no Western Seminary to be found.
I didn't know that Warner Pacific University was Warner Pacific University from the lawn and fence surrounding it, so, thinking that it could be Western Seminary I continued down 60th until I found an entrance...which of course had a large sign declaring the name Warner Pacific University to all passers-by. I went a little further, but it wasn't promising.
I then back-tracked, looking for the correct Hawthorne Avenue, or perhaps another 60th street to no avail. I got back on the 84 east, convinced that therein lay my solution, until I came to a sign saying ENTERING GRESHAM. "That's not right," I said to myself." I got off the freeway, found a parking lot, and pulled out the trusty map. I then discovered that one really could get to the 84 from the 5 without exiting onto the 205 and then the 84. One just had to go further north. Oops. I now knew my mistake.
I got back on the 84 - west and went as far as I could. When I reached the 5 I got off the 84 west and on the 84 east - now driving exactly according to the directions. Strangely there's an exit for 58th street driving east from the 5, but not driving west from the 205. Relieved and also a little annoyed because I was now an hour and a half late to the conference, I exited on 58th street and correctly followed the directions onto 60th...but...wait a minute! I've been here before! I drove a ways down 60th, just to be sure. Yep. Definitely been here before. I was done. Never mind about the $55 I spent to register and the gas that it took to get there and be lost for almost two hours! I was done.
I got back on the freeway and headed toward McMinnville, while in the process of calling Grandma Bonnie to see if I could invite myself over. I just didn't feel like going back to school. Besides, the day was still young (I was already ready for lunch by this time. My 6:30 breakfast had worn off). Kindly, Grandma Bonnie let me come over, she even let me go to lunch with her and her friend. Then we went back to her house and watched t.v. for the rest of the day and I got to lay on her couch and almost take a nap (I don't really take naps). I didn't have any homework with me because..hehe... I was expecting to be sitting in seminars for the entire day. So, what else could I do?
The excitement wasn't over, though. Alysun called me and asked if I could babysit that night. Sure! So, after a delightful breakfast-for-dinner made by Grandma Bonnie, I headed over to Alysun's to watch the girls. Mandy practically begged me to go to bed and Emma wanted me to sleep with her and so wanted to go to bed early too. We went into Emma's room, laid down on the bed with the light off and pretended to sleep. Then we whispered played silly games like peek-a-boo. Then Emma read me a couple of books. By that time it was bedtime, so I said good night and that I'd just have to come over again and actually spend the night.
Sometime after I got back to school, I turned on a movie and only watched an hour of it before I decided that it was too late to stay awake anymore. Finally, at 2:00 I turned off my light.
Everything that happened yesterday was completely unexpected, but very fun and exactly what I needed.
*There is a slight chance - considering my track record - that I read the directions wrong and Western Seminary is exactly where they said it was. But, I mapquested the directions just now and the ones that the seminary people gave me left out a couple of streets. Oops.
3 comments:
Glad it all worked out, but sheesh, what frustrations! I hate being lost, especially in big cities. Summon the tough Lisa we know and love and call and try to get your money back for the terrible directions!
Oh, or tell the parents of the kids you babysat that they need to pay you more.
Oh Lisa! That is terrible! At about 8am Saturday morning, I sat at my computer and sighed heavily sort of wishing I was at that conference instead of re-cooperating from vacation. I'm so sorry you got so lost! I got pretty turned around the first time I went--my own fault and was about half an hour late. Not an easy place to find anyway!
Post a Comment