I've had many alarm clocks in my lifetime. Most of them were the cheapest digital clock on the shelf that makes the most annoying beep at the appointed time every morning.
My most memorable alarm clock was the Winnie-the-Pooh alarm clock I bought at Disneyland one year. It was a new version of an old fashion alarm clock with be bells on top and the hammer in the middle. The words "eat", "nap", and "honey" replaced the numbers and Pooh sat at the exalted position of the Number 12. I was so excited! I couldn't wait to wake up the next morning to my "old fashion" alarm clock.
I grew to hate that alarm clock. The sound of the hammer against the bells sent me flying out of bed in fear every morning. I'd scramble, disillusioned, to flip the "off" switch so that the rest of the house didn't hear it (they usually did anyways) and end up dropping or throwing the thing on the floor beside my bed. At last, in one fatal effort to turn off the alarm I dropped the Pooh clock on the floor. Not even replacing the batteries (which had been spit out on impact) could revive my treasured clock.
This morning, the alarm clock at Grandma Bonnie's house frightened me from a comfortable sleep and I was certain that the fire alarm was going off. When I realized my mistake, I turned off the alarm and lay back down, laughing at the racing of my heart. When at last my heart returned to a normal pace, I tried for a few minutes to go back to sleep, but by that time I was already wide awake.
I'm not a fan of alarm clocks...at all.
How do you feel about alarm clocks?
No comments:
Post a Comment