Sunday, October 18, 2009

We were enjoying a nice little conversation, catching each other up on our lives for the last week, during which she had been sick and we had not seen each other. We were driving home from the barn and I had ridden my horse. My hip had also been sore for the past week, so I wasn't surprised by the shooting pain that suddenly seemed to stab me. I pressed on the spot quickly to massage the tight muscle. We kept driving and talking when all of a sudden I felt another stab on the front of my hip. That was not normal. I grabbed my shirt in the spot where I felt the stab, felt some little object in there and ground with my fingers while at the same time trying desperately to remove the offending object from the folds of my shirt. I promptly deposited it into the empty granola bowl in my truck where it wriggle in a drop of chocolate soy milk.
We stared at it in bewilderment. It was cold and windy at the barn. "Where did that come from? How did it get in my shirt?" Further examination revealed that the darling little yellow jacket had stung me three times on my hip.
"Are you allergic?" Meredith asked me.
"I don't think so. I've only been stung once when I was a little girl."Every time you get stung your allergies get worse. I just got stung 3 times! I'm gonna die! My breath came difficult and I had headache.
By the time we got home, had dinner, and watched a 1946 version of Beauty and the Beast (in French with English subtitles) I was breathing normally again and more worried about the frightening beast than the three welts on my hip.

5 comments:

Aly sun said...

I'm glad you are okay. Sounds painful! I love the clip-art anyway.

Andee said...

Good grief! I suppose drowning it in milk was only appropriate.

Anonymous said...

awww poor big sis, hehe how could you kill that innocent little yellow jacket?? It just wanted to be warm so it wanted to be by your heart =] hehehe wow that was cheesy lol I'm glad your okay sis =]
<3 Katie

Anonymous said...

My first thought was "how did you keep your truck on the road while fighting with the yellow jacket?" Good driving! and glad you are ok! Your Mother

Anonymous said...

You are not going to believe this....well of course you will, but guess who got stung by a stupid yellow jacket yesterday? I wasn't even near their nest yet and was being very stealthy and carefully and one flew up my shirt and stung me. Sure I was on my way to kill them all but it didn't know that...or did it? ( I have a new protege' and I was educating her on the fine art of yellow jacket eradication) Remember those days?