Thursday, January 15, 2009

This morning was very dismal and cold so I was unprepared for the sun that came out as I was driving to Dallas this afternoon and the tiny bit of warmth that it gave off. It was beautiful at the ranch! However, I forgot my camera.
I rode Chance for about an hour. He hadn't been ridden for a while so he was ready. After our war-up I thought I'd start him on lead changes. It's good for all horses to know how to change their leads on cue, so that will be part of our repertoire from now on. Then we tried a few turn-backs. He remembered as far as we had gone from last semester, but he gets frustrated with them because all you do is go back and forth on one side of the arena and then turn around and go the other way. He gets bored. Then we went out to the field behind the barn and discovered the sloshiness of it with some full on puddles thrown in there. Chance did really well and picked his way through without any protest at all. To cool down, I let Chance go in the arena and play with his giant rubber ball. It's hilarious! I was kicking myself the whole time because I had forgotten my camera. He chases the ball, rubs his neck on it, stomps on it 'til it dribbles (seriously). It's pretty funny.
I didn't do much with Brandy today because of time. I just groomed her and talked to her. Next week I'll work her first. I decided I'll have to rotate who I work with first because I never have enough time to do a full lessen with both Brandy and Chance in one day. And next time I WILL remember my camera!

No comments: