Friday, January 30, 2009

I Want to Run!

I like to run. I don't love to run, but I like to run. I like to run enough to run a three mile turkey trot with a potentially fractured hip a week after I fell off of a horse (I don't know for sure because I didn't go to the doctor, but it still bothers me a little so I came to that conclusion). Of course, I was loaded with advil and couldn't feel anything for the half an hour it took to run the course.
I like the high I get from running. I like the energy it gives me. I like feeling my muscles work. I like how it works every part of my body. I like the way that a breath seems so refreshing and fulfilling when I've finished running. I like running off the demons of stress and worry - and sometimes frustration and anger - even if only temporarily. I even like getting sweaty (I hope that's not too gross) when I run. It means that I've been working hard. However, I don't love to run. If I loved to run, I would be on the cross country team at school. I would be running for hours everyday. I get bored running for that long.
Even though I don't love running, I still crave it sometimes. Every couple of days, I get the urge to run. I fidget in class and the hours seem to take forever. Then I can't wait to change and head out on my run. Today was one of those days. However, accompanied by the yearning was a little pinch in my hip as I sat in my last class, reminding me that running would only aggravate it more. So I went to the gym and worked out on the eliptical at a lower setting than usual. I was dissatisfied with my workout. I wanted to have that breathless, satisfied feeling of a good workout. But I didn't. One of these days I will be able to run without being reminded that I haven't completely healed yet. I just hope that day comes soon. I have learned to enjoy walking, though. It is very refreshing in itself and you don't smell sweaty when you're done. That is a plus. It just takes longer.

1 comment:

Aly sun said...

I am a walker myself and a huge benefit is that I am not sweaty when I am done with my two miles. I still have the energy boost and my lungs are full of fresh air. And I feel so much better.

You may want to see a chiropractor about your hip. Just like your back can "go out," your hips can too. It happens to me a few times a year (falling off a horse isn't required :). It feels like a twinge of pain when I take a step and my lower back aches sooner than normal after a long day. It actually makes one of my legs longer than the other, so my whole body has to compensate. A simple adjustment and you may be back to running.

*Diagnosis free of charge from a cousin who cares. :)