Saturday, February 28, 2009

"In Christ Alone"

I expected a church service. I expected hymnals and a single organ accompaniment, perhaps a small choir in robes. I accepted my roommate's invitation to go to the hymn festival for lack of something else to do. I like hymns. I think they're a beautiful way to praise God when you think about the words and I prefer to sing them in church than the modern worship songs.
I was not prepared for the beautiful location of the First Presbyterian Church in downtown Salem. Nor was I expecting Corban's orchestra and full choir to perform a selection of beautiful hymns, accompanied by the church's organ and grand piano. Poetic hymns, put to the musical arrangements of the world's greatest composers filled the church with magnificent music. I don't sing well, but I appreciate well written and performed music. At times, I closed my eyes and let the music lift my soul to the heavens. The best part of the performance is that every note was played and sung to the glory of God. God's gift of music was given back to Him as the talented musicians performed exquisitely.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wish I could have been there with you, Lisa. I am so thankful that you appreciate this beautiful way to praise our Lord. Mom

Aly sun said...

Sounds wonderful. A poignant time I remember is when I heard a choir of young women singing at St. Paul's Cathedral in London. The acoustics in an old church impact the ears and in turn the heart.

Lesley Miller said...

I love that you appreciate hymns... I'm not a big hymn person but I love that each of us like to worship God in different ways. Plus, I agree with Aly-- acoustics in an old church are amazing.(And no one can hear my wailing voice!)