Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Teaching Instructors to Teach


CHA (Certified Horsemanship Association) is a program which teaches riding instructors how to teach. Every summer before camp starts we host a CHA clinic at Palomar so that our wranglers can get some training in instructing the girls for the summer. The clinic is open to the public so we have people come from all over to get trained and certified. Five days full of mock lessens, critiques, stress, and wells of information. Clinics are high in stress because every lessen one teaches is critiqued by all of the participants and the two clinicians.
Because I am already certified, I am hosting the clinic this year, so I gain all of the education that is being fed during the clinic and avoid all of the stress of having to plan and teach lessens that are really just oral tests. It's a lot of fun to gain new ideas for lessens and pick the brains of all the professional instructors who have been riding and teaching for years.

No comments: