Friday, May 29, 2009

If I decided that I was going to enter into the medical profession, I think I would be a chiropractor. It must be so interesting. The nervous system is phenomenal. Who but a Master Designer could have pieced together such an intricate and sensitive communication system inside the human body.
This is not a random post. After months of warnings, my dad finally made me an appointment to visit his chiropractor. I dreaded it. He always comes home in as much pain as when he went. On top of that, he and my friend, Holly, always talk about how badly it hurts for the chiropractor to adjust them.
He was very nice. I was there for an hour and a half. Before he even started he had me do some stretches to gauge what hurt, etc. Then he explained what chiropractors do. He had a model of a spinal cord and a color coded skeleton and skull. He explained the way the nervous system worked and especially the anatomy of the hip. The hip is a very thick bone and is hard to fracture. It is surrounded by a lot of muscle. The muscle is extremely tight from not being exercised properly. The chiropractor adjusted my back and my neck. That all felt good. Then he began pushing and poking at my hip where the muscle is tender. That felt like a million needles stabbing into my hip. He said very calmly, "I'm just going to keep pressing 'til this stops hurting." I laughed at him. (It came out more like a "Ha-gasp-ha-gasp." He never did get to that point. He told me that I needed to do that everyday and to stretch it. I'm actually quite relieved that usage may help healing. I'm supposed to go back next week.
Hopefully the next post about my hip will be to report that it is all well and that I am able to run again! (Hopefully is the key word there.)

1 comment:

Aly sun said...

I hear ya! I have a love/hate relationship with my chiropractor. The pain and discomfort is really bad when you wait too long to get adjusted. Now I can tell when my back is out and I go in as fast as possible because the muscles don't have to strain as much. I also think the science of chiropractory is interesting. The daily exercises are a must! Check out T-Tapp online. It is an amazing rehabilitory exercise program (like pilaties).