Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Bigger is Better.

We've all heard the anecdote "bigger is better." I don't always agree with that. There's another anecdote that says "good things come in small packages." When it comes to horses, I'm all about bigger. Often the bigger breeds are the gentle giants of the horse world. Yet with that gentleness comes a massive strength (just think of the budweiser Clydesdales). Then there are the athletic breeds; the thoroughbreds, arabians and quarter horses. Their bodies are made of lean muscle. From them we see agility, speed, and strength.
At camp we have mostly old, retired horses who are content to teach a young child how to ride. There are a few, however, who are still in their youth. One of our horses is the most powerful animal I have ever met. He is a thoroughbred and ex-Grand Prix jumper. He had some lameness problems which is why he was donated to us. He simply couldn't jump at such heights anymore. He still loves to jump. When one rides him, one can feel the power that he possesses. He has the ability to toss me with a kick of his heels, but he is so well trained and has such a good personality that he does not. Each time I ride him I am nearly breathless with awe. God has made a creature with such natural power, yet He has given us dominion over it that it would be a beast of beauty. Yet at the same time it is a picture of God's power. If such an animal has such might, how much more does the Almighty God have?

Pioneer

Recently I read this passage in Job and it made me think about Pioneer. In the life of my imagination, Pioneer was a war-horse.
"Have you given the horse strength?
Have you clothed his neck with thunder?
Can you frighten him like a locust?
His majestic snorting strikes terror.
He paws in the valley, and rejoices in his strength;
He gallops into the clash of arms.
He mocks at fear, and is not frightened;
Nor does he turn back from the sword.
The quiver rattles against him,
The glittering spear and javelin.
He devours the distance with fierceness and rage;
Nor does he come to a halt because the trumpet has sounded.
At the blast of the trumpet he says, 'Aha'!
He smells the battle from afar,
The thunder of captains and shouting."
Job 39:19-25

1 comment:

Aly sun said...

Cool Scripture passage! It's is interesting to think about it from your perspective... I've never felt like I had much dominion over animals. Keep up your good work with the horses.