I went out to the ranch on Tuesday and was surprised to see not only Debbie, but a few of the kids that volunteer there. "School isn't out yet," I thought. Then it clicked. Veterans' Day. Sadly, I attend a school where days like Veterans' Day are not "no school" days, so I had completely forgotten that the rest of the country had enjoyed a nice, leisurely day free of work and school. As a result, Brandy's attention was busily employed making sure that everything going on around her wasn't going to eat her. Keeping her assured that she was fine was a challenge. When at last we had the arena to ourselves, Brandy was very good...until I asked her canter. That was not on her agenda for the day. She immediately bolted and raced around the arena at a dead gallop. It was pretty cool to watch, but frustrating because she'd bolted again. I sighed. It was going to be one of those days. One of those days that could be so much easier if Brandy just did as I asked and didn't fight it. As I retrieved Brandy, a couple of the kids came in and asked if they could set up the arena. I agreed, groaning inside. The lessen was not going to be learned that day. I lunged Brandy a little more and then put her away, annoyed that she had won.
Thursday I went out, armed with determination and the voice in my head warning me to be patient and gentle. There is a fine line that I have to walk with Brandy. The line of discipline and fear. Because she was abused, the fear factor can come back so much faster than with other horses that I have been used to working with. Long story short: Brandy cantered. I have come to the conclusion that we may need to take a break from lunging and exercise a different way. I think we're both bored with it.
I've been working with another horse, Chance. Because of the beautiful day on Thursday, we went out into a field close by the barn and explored a little.
Overall, it was a wonderful day. I spent almost three hourse at the ranch and wanted to stay longer, but homework called me back to school.
No comments:
Post a Comment