Thursday, July 22, 2010

Midsummer Night's Dream

Heather and I don't get to spend a ton of time together. Our schedules sort of pass-by each other. We generally share our day's activities right before falling asleep. Wednesday is her last work day in the week and I don't work on Thursdays, so we like to do something Wednesday night. Tuesday night I googled cheap, fun things to do in Salem at night (the list came up short with several frustrated college age people complaining of the lack of nightlife in Salem).
However, I was not discouraged. While traveling in Germany, our student life administrator told us to look at blogs for where we were visiting as they are first hand accounts of people who may have the same interests as us. So, when I found a blog about Salem, I jumped on it. The very latest post was about the Historic Elsinore Theater downtown.

The theater was featuring a classic movie series for the spring and summer on Wednesday nights. The price $5. Perfect! The feature last night was the 1935 version of Midsummer Night's Dream. The movie itself was rather long, the acting in itself was comical, if you know the story you know that it is a comedy.
The audience was - well - a little older than us, but we didn't mind.
The theater was beautiful. It looked like a small opera house. It was so fun to do something special with my roommate. The Elsinore theatre also hosts concerts and plays. I recommend checking it out. It's a pretty cool piece of Salem's history.
*I decided not to take my camera, so these are not my pictures.

4 comments:

Heidi Michelle Click said...

My friends Evan and Sarah and I go to the park in Dallas and a theater company does "Shakespeare in the Park." And it's always so good!! We take a picnic...glad you guys had a great time!!

Peggy said...

Makes me miss the moonlight theatre in Oceanside! I am sure that there are those sorts of things around here. I just need to do the research that you did!

Aly sun said...

The Elsanore is really fun. I used to go to piano concerts there.

Another free activity is frisbee golf at the Dallas City Park. Go on Ellendale until you get to Levens. The park entrance is at the bottom of the hill and the first parking lot is where the frisbee golf directions are located.

If you ever have a whole day off together you could go floating on the river. We've got a spot here that is really fun.

Look for music in the park too. Independence and monmouth and Dallas all have nights during the week where local bands play. I think Monmouth's is Thursday.

Unknown said...

That is so funny you saw that movie. I was at Grandma's last week and she was watching that version of that movie. I have to agree that the acting is pretty comical. The theatre looks cool though.