Here is a little picture history of Ribbon and I. A few days ago, the ranch manager called and said that Ribbon was not doing very well. She wasn't eating normally and wasn't as spunky as usual. The vet said that it was probably time to let her go. So, yesterday afternoon, he went to the barn and put her down. These are pictures that were taken just after I bought her in 2003, to the last one that was taken last month.
![]() |
| The picture above is when Karl came to take our family pictures. See the red-head in the back? She knew she belonged. :) |
![]() |
| Christmas 2003 |
![]() |
| Ribbon would follow me everywhere, even trot behind me. |

![]() |
| Ribbon and Jimmy. He was always very distressed when I took her from the pasture. |


![]() |
| Uncle Loyal's back yard where Ribbon stayed on her way up to Oregon in 2009. |
![]() |
| Ribbon and her new pasture buddy, Gus. |
![]() |
| Ribbon's first blanket! The rainy winters of Oregon called for something more than her own coat. She and Fritta were great friends when they met in the barn and then shared a paddock in the summer. |
![]() |
| Ribbon loved the grass in Oregon. It was always so green! |
![]() |
| Katie went to work at Black Lake Bible Camp one summer. Before we drove up to Washington we spent a couple days in Salem and she got to ride Ribbon again. My first two years at Corban, Katie took care of Ribbon for me and they became good friends. |
![]() |
| Katie saying good-bye. |
![]() |
| Me saying good bye. |
Our last ride was magical. I didn't even intend to ride, but the day was one of those cheerful sunny days that wasn't too hot. The front paddock was empty and made a great outside arena. So I saddled her up and we walked and trotted. And then she just stretched into a canter and we just went around and around the field. It was perfect.
Katie came the next day and we left a few days later. I saw her briefly in November, and I knew that it was time to say good-bye. I wouldn't be seeing her again.
I had hoped when I left to find someone to adopt her who would keep her at the barn so she could stay where she had been the happiest. No one adopted her, but she was able to stay at the place that had become her home.






























4 comments:
That was a very nice tribute to Ribbon. It made me a little teary. She was a good friend to you.
I'm sorry for your loss. What a special friend, the pictures are beautiful. :)
I'm glad Ribbon got to stay at the same barn she was used to. So sorry for your loss. I know how hard it is to say good-bye to a much loved animal that was such a big part of your life.
Sorry, Lisa, I meant to mention my name from the comment above. Hope you are doing well and are happy in that part of the world. I know your are continuing to stay prayerful and follow the Lord's leading :)
Kris Miller
Salem, OR
Post a Comment