My freshman or sophomore year at Corban, I took a class on Teaching the Bible. One of our first assignments was to write the story of Noah's Ark so that it would be interesting to young children. I had an idea, but I needed a little help from Ben and Emma. I asked them what their favorite animals were and they gave me four. I don't think anyone has ever seen it - except my professor. I was going through my stuff, repacking for the move, when I found it. Ben and Emma at least, should read it. And (if I may) I rather like it.
The First Rainbow
A long time ago on
an earth that was not so old as it is now, four friends played together all day
long. Zebra was very fast and loved to run. Hippo was very shy. Elephant (Ellie
for short) was very curious. Mantis’ favorite thing to do was to hide in tiny
places and then jump out suddenly and scare his friends.
One day the four
friends were wandering around looking for something new to do when they came
upon something they had never seen before. “What is it?” asked Ellie.
“Let’s go see!”
Zebra suggested.
“What if it’s
dangerous?” Hippo said softly.
“What happened to
them?” Ellie asked.
“They were given a
bed and food,” Mantis replied.
“How do you know?”
Zebra asked doubtfully.
“I snuck in when
the man wasn’t looking.”
“What man?” Hippo
asked.
“The man at the
door counting the animals.” Mantis said. “There were three other men and four
women there too.”
“Let’s go see for
ourselves!” Ellie declared.
Without waiting
for the others Zebra ran ahead. The others followed cautiously.
![]() |
| http://www.ehow.com/facts_5445736_fast-can-zebra-run.html |
When they all got
to the “ark” they found a long line of animals. Zebra was already half-way up
the line. Hippo, Mantis, and Ellie got into the line and looked at all the
strange animals. “What kind of animal is that?” Ellie asked, pointing with her
long trunk at a black and white animal standing upright. It appeared to have no
legs and waddled forward.
“Maybe it’s
related to Zebra,” Hippo suggested. “It’s the same color.”
Finally Hippo,
Mantis, and Ellie stepped onto the “ark.” They were each given a bed of straw
and some food just like Mantis had said.
“Where’s Zebra?”
Hippo wondered.
“I’ll look for
him,” Mantis said and disappeared again. Son he came back riding on Zebra’s
back. “The ‘ark’ is huge!” Mantis said.
“Can we explore?”
Ellie begged.
Suddenly, a loud
sound frightened all the animals! Then the “ark” began to sway! Ellie screamed,
Hippo trembled, Mantis dove into a crack in the wood, and Zebra tried to run
away, but ran into a wall instead. They’d never heard or felt anything like it
before.
All four of them
were huddled in a corner when a kind voice said, “Here they are, Noah. Our lost
animals.” It was one of the women. A man appeared with her. They coaxed Zebra,
Hippo, Mantis, and Ellie back to their stalls and spoke softly to them. Soon,
they were all asleep.
Many days passed
and the animals began to feel comfortable on the swaying “ark.” They were
allowed to explore as much as they wanted. They talked to some very interesting
animals from all over the world. One of their new friends was Dove. She was a
beautiful white bird. One day they found her sitting in a window that opened to
blue sky and a lot of water. She was panting as if she had just been flying.
“Where did you go, Dove?” Ellie asked.
“Yesterday Noah sent
Raven to see if there was any land. She came back and said there wasn’t. Today
he sent me. See, I found an olive branch. The water is going down.”
“Do we get to
leave now?” Hippo asked. She was tired of being on the ark for so long.
![]() |
| http://babyanimalz.com/2011/02/baby-hippo-born-caught-on-camera/ |
“Not yet. There
still isn’t any land.”
A few days later,
Zebra, Hippo, Mantis, and Ellie went to talk to Dove, but she was no where to
be found. “She’s found land,” Noah told them. “It’s time to leave the ark.”
When Zebra, Hippo,
Mantis, and Ellie stepped off of the ark they all took deep breaths. The air
smelled fresh and new like,…well, like rain. Suddenly Hippo cried, “Look! Look
there in the sky! Oh, it’s so pretty!”
“What is it?”
Ellie asked.
Just then they
heard Noah say to his wife and sons and his sons’ wives. “It’s God’s covenant
with us that He will never flood the whole earth again. It’s a rainbow.”
![]() |
| http://www.designzzz.com/beautiful-rainbow-photography/ |
So there it is. Hope you liked it. Thanks, Ben and Emma! Can you guess which animals were Ben's (3) and which was Emma's?





2 comments:
I like the story Lisa! Miss you!
Awesome. I think you should publish it.
Post a Comment