Sunday, October 31, 2010

Apple Pie

I stood in the Winco produce section staring at the aisle of apples. Somewhere in the back of my mind I heard someone say that you had to have just the right apples for a pie. I have no idea what kind of apple is a pie apple! I looked around the nearly empty store. I need to find a woman who looks like she has baked a few apple pies in her life. No. Nope. Aha! "Excuse me ma'am, can you tell me which apples would be best for a pie?"
She marched down the aisle. "Let's see. I think Jonagold would be the best out of this selection."
"Thank you!"
I began packing apples into a bag. "You want them to be on the tart side," she said as she walked away.
I panicked. Really? Is she sure? Pie is sweet. Shouldn't the apples be sweet? I went ahead and took her word for it anyways.

We don't have an apple peeler that cores and slices at the same time as peeling.
The apples weren't quite tender enough. But it still tasted delicious (if I do say so myself).
Heather's friend made the apron. Heather and I both have one. Aren't they cute?



6 comments:

Aly sun said...

Woohoo, good for you. I just made apple pie filling this morning and am canning 5 quarts, so I can skip the hard work later. I like really soft apples in my pies, so I usually cook it an extra 15 minutes with foil on top .

Anonymous said...

Good for you Lisa, your pie looks great, and the apron is so cute. A cousin of mine always brought apple pie to our gatherings,[by request] and she said she always uses golden delisious, so I use golden delisious too!! Braburns are good as well. Grandma

Anonymous said...

The lady was right, tart apples with lot's of sugar and butter, sliced super thinly, make the best apple pies.

Anonymous said...

may i say i wish i could have been there
to put in the flour and the.... apples i guess there are no chocolate chips in apple pie.... hmmm we should try that someday.... maybe carmel would be better.... hmmm hehe
xoxo Katie

Sherri said...

Love the apron!! My favorite is gravensteins cuz that what my grandma used. MMM we should do a taste test someday:)

Andee said...

Martha (Stewart) says to use at least 3 different varieties, although she recommends 5. Good heavens.