Hello Everyone! I just wanted to check in with you. It's been something of an exhausting week. We've just completed half a semester's work in a week. Our class was Christian Worldview and we've had some very good discussions and read two good, though provoking, not-very-light books. Tomorrow we head for Vienna for an academic tour. We are going to see where Freud lived and worked for most of his life. Tuesday morning we have a few options of activities: The Papyrus Museum, The Spanish Riding School, and some art museum (the name escapes me at the moment).
Where do you think I'll be?
Heather and I needed to get some books for our presentation next week. The library university in Regensburg has allowed us to look at their books, but we can't check them out. We can make copies. So, Heather and I hopped on a bus to the university. It is built of cold concrete. Even the floor is stone and the first floor is cobblestone. As we walked through the lifeless hallways, I had visions of soldiers appearing around any corner and a royal family being led to their death (I know, the Romanovs were Russia, but it's what came to mind) or fleeing from some unthinkable danger. It is a large library. We only went to the theology section (they do have some English books). In the center of the room is a vast opening devoid of bookshelves and filled with white tables in perfectly straight columns and rows. Two chairs are at each table. No one whispers, no one smiles.
Until this year university students haven't had to pay tuition. Now, the government is saying that they have to pay about 600 euros per semester if I remember correctly. Students are furious! They're protesting. On one of the outside walls was a message saying Education should be free (in English, oddly enough). I told Heather that we should take a picture and give it to whoever decides how much to charge students tuition.
On our way home we got on the correct number bus, going to wrong way. He got to the end of his line and kicked us off the bus, telling us where to get the correct bus. For ten minutes we could see a bus sitting on the curb a little ways down the road. When it was time for our bus to arrive, it pulled up to the curb and, no joke, was the same driver. It was a fun day and very educational for us to venture so far without having anyone with us who speaks German (usually there's at least one, normally three of our group who speaks German).
I don't know how my internet availability will be while we're in Vienna, but I will publish a lot when we get back. Three days of academic touring is bound to result in many posts.
2 comments:
Just delightful to hear what you are up to. Sounds like so much fun (all except the half of semester in one week thing and the not-so-light reading). ;)
Sounds so great. I can just imagine what it is like. I can't wait to hear all that you get to see in Vienna. Have fun!!!
Post a Comment