Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Thirty Days



Thirty days. Thirty days until I embark on the biggest adventure of my life. An adventure filled with the unknown. In thirty days I will cross the ocean and land in a country where I am the intruder; where my familiar American accent will be a point of amusement for the natives of the country; where I will discover what true ethnic foods taste like. Thirty days from not I will step onto a continent and into a country bleeding with history.
Andrea gave me a Traveler's Journal for Christmas, complete with budget planning and traveling tips. I started to get excited again. I started to believe again that I was really going. In the front of the journal is a world map. Benton wanted to know why his mom had given me a traveler's journal. "Because I'm going to be a traveler. Do you want to see where I'm traveling to? See. This is where we are right now, and this is where Germany is." That's a long way away, I thought to myself.
"Will it take you a night to get there?"
"It will take me two days to get there."Everything old and familiar will be an ocean and a continent away.
But the adventure begins before that. In four days I'll board a plane for Buffalo, NY and spend the next month in Guelph, Canada. I've never been further east than Missouri.

4 comments:

Peggy said...

I have to admit that I am more excited about the first part of your adventure at this point. But I know that when the time comes, I will be very excited for you to embark on the second part. See you soon!

Aly sun said...

Love, love, love both Canada AND Germany. Can Remi and I come with you? So excited for yoU!

Anonymous said...

That is SO STINKIN' EXCITING SIS!!!!!!!!
I'm sad though that I can't take this adventure with you :( but you better send me a postcard!!!! or two.... or three....maybe 20 :D love you and see you soon!!!!!! <333 Katie

Mrs. Brown said...

You are going to have a trip of a life time! Make sure to post while you are there!