Sunday, December 27, 2009

Boxing Day

Day #8
According to the very reliable Wikipedia, Boxing Day is the day "on which servants have the day off and the gentry eat cold-cuts...previously prepared by the servants...and goodwill boxes are given to the poor, etc." Boxing Day is December 26th. It is a holiday and businesses seem to be undecided whether or not to be open or closed on the day after Christmas. It is another day for sales. However, restaurants and coffeeshops were mostly closed. My mom and I walked into old downtown Guelph yesterday with the anticipation of enjoying a cup of coffee once we reached our destination. When we arrived, the lights were off, the door bolted, and a large sign that shouted CLOSED.
We walked a little further and found a tea place. I wouldn't call it a tea parlor exactly. It was more of a tea shop where they served tea and toast (literally, that's all they served: toast). It was also owned by an Asian lady and her family. It was a rather tasteful blend of Japanese and English decor and tea selection. It was past lunch time, so we ordered some tea and toast. The tea was delicious, but I'm not even going to try to reciprocate the name. Every once in a while I like to try something new and rather odd. I had green tea jam on my toast. It was actually really good.
Last night we saw a movie. My parents had bought us each a ticket, so we saw "Have You Heard About the Morgans?" with Hugh Grant and Sarah Jessica Parker. I recommend it.

1 comment:

Rv Shultz said...

movie: city folks + horses = magic
I still haven't seen it yet, but it is on my list.