Saturday, October 18, 2008

Intro to the Cowgirl's Typewriter

Hello All!
I have started this blog in dedication to Brandy, an eleven year old mustang who I am working with and who is doing remarkable. I'm sure I will use it for more than just Brandy's accomplishments because I only go see her about twice a week.
So, a little bit about Brandy. Brandy is rather skittish, she doesn't like her hind end touched very much, and she has a bad habit of bolting when 1) she gets really scared, or 2) she decides she doesn't want to do what she's told. Moving slowly and deliberatley is a must for working with Brandy. She sees everything and hears everything. Even scratching my head is a questionable action to her. Although it takes Brandy a little while to trust someone, once she does, she loves on them. She loves to push her head against my back or just rest her muzzle on my shoulder. Sometimes she licks her lips (a sign that she's content) right up against my back. This gave me the idea of teaching her to do it on command and give me a massage. I have yet to figure a good way to train her to do that.
I started working with Brandy last fall and worked with her until May. Since coming back to school since summer vacation I've taken it up again. Being gone that long makes it so that I am really able to see how much Brandy has improved in the last year (she was worked with a little over the summer, so she's been progressing during that time, too). Brandy's stall is located in the arena of the ranch where she lives, so last year we worked solely in the arena. This year, however, I have decided that we need to get out. I've taken her out of the arena twice and walked her around the yard to see new things. She even walked right up to my truck (a completely foreign object, and very scary) and let me open the door and get her a carrot (remember, she hears everything and the new sound of a door opening is something she hasn't experienced since I've been working with her, and I don't know about before that).
Brandy is doing so well and I could go on and on about her. My goal this year is to ride her under saddle. Hopefully Brandy will trust me enough to let me ride her.
Well, thanks for reading and I hope that it doesn't get too boring.
Lisa

No comments: