I know that I said that this blog was dedicated to Brandy, but it titled the Cowgirl's TYPWRITER, so there will be little bits and pieces of...art, I guess, intermingled with the updates about Brandy. The first one came to me after a family dinner and right before a big family reunion. My thought as I was reading was, "There is something very warm about being silent and content in one room, and hearing happy chatter and joyful laughter from another." Then I realized something else, grabbed my ever-present notebook and wrote it down. Here it is:
The old tradition of the men retiring to brandy and cigars after supper while the ladies remained at the table or went to the parlour to carry out their perspective conversations travelled through time and landed in my grandmother's house. The men, ages ranging from 50 to 80, sat in the living room; the seven women had split into two groups, coincidentally according to age. The elder of the groups remained at the dining room table, while the younger group had adjourned to the office. Conversation flowed from all three rooms. It is amazing that ten people who have the luxuries of email and the telephone and who are able to talk to each other over hundreds of miles can come together and talk without ceasing for more than three hours and still find something that they may have forgotten to say after everyone has gone home. God created a beautiful thing when he made the institution known as Family.
This may or may not appear in some fictitious book that will one day have a title, a cover, and a copywright, and will hopefully not be on the bargain books table (oh, the dreams that are so easily made and so hard to accomplish).
1 comment:
This is wonderful - I miss reading your stories! I thought of you the other day when I was playing my piano...and then again last week when S'mores and I went to Julian. I'm glad you're doing so well with Brandy, and I have to say I'm jealous. I'm so starved for livestock of any kind that I get excited when I can smell cows in the morning when I go to work! Time to get out of the city...
Post a Comment