Thursday, April 8, 2010

Seven More Days

We have gathered from all parts of Europe and rejoined each other in Munich, Germany. We came together with all sorts of adventures to share with each other. We are in Munich until Saturday, when we will visit Dachau concentration camp and return to Regensburg for a few days.
We have beautiful weather for our tour of Munich. As in most places in Germany, it is a city of history. It is the hub of German industry and the second richest city in the country.

This is the famous glockenspiel, housed in the Neu Rathaus (New Town Hall). Twice a day the figures inside the green windows come out and twirl around to the clock chimes.

Here is Marienplatz, the square which is home to the Rathaus.


The traditional Bavarian dress is a Dirndl. There are cute ones and beautiful ones. I even saw a pure white one that looked like a wedding gown. These are little girl ones and they are so cute!

We went to the English Gardens yesterday (strange because, you know, we're in Germany). I guess the English all had gardens with gazebos so the Germans built a garden with a Chinese tower.
A view of part of the garden from the inside of an Olympian style gazebo up on a hill.
The Isar River.
Some of the Germans engage in a very safe sport called River Surfing. It's quite impressive, actually. One or two of the surfers made us all hold our breath because they kept getting so close to the side.

It's hard to believe that there are just a few days left. I am going to miss Germany. It has been such an adventure and I've learned so much, such as: how to read bus and train schedules, even if they are in a different language; how to say, "Haben Sie soya milch?" (do you have soy milk? - most often the reply to that is "so-ya milch?" and then a confused shake of the head); Germans are quite helpful when two American girls are a tad bit lost... I mean, aren't quite sure which direction to go; Germans are very, very clean - I missed that when we were in Italy; trains in Germany don't wait for everyone in the group to be on; gas stations and convenience stores charge 50 cents to use the bathroom, but they're really nice bathrooms (gonna miss those on my next road trip); carpet and comfortable chairs are splurging in the comfort area; some of the most beautiful countryside is in Germany; they eat bread and cheese and liverwurst for breakfast...every...single...morning (eggs and pancakes or french toast for breakfast, Mama?...maybe both?); and I never want to tour another cathedral again in my life! Well, the list goes on, but I'll be home soon to tell you all about everything...multiple times...even if I've already blogged about it. :)
See you all soon!

5 comments:

Larry Click said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Larry Click said...

Well, it's a shame that your time is almost up. I had hoped the company would send me back to Germany while you are there so we could visit.

I don't know if you got to my company's hometown of Kassel, but there is some cool things to see there.

You'll probably be back at Corban when we are in Guelph in September, but I'm so glad you had a chance to do this term in Germany.

Thanks for letting us all live it with you via a the blog!

Sicher reisen zu Hause!

Onkel Larry

Aly sun said...

Love your "learned " list. I remember the super clean bathrooms -- almost worth having to pay to go. Can't wait to hear about all your travels first hand.

Jenny said...

I love your pics! I can't believe your time is almost over. Your next place to visit is me??? :) Love ya!

Peggy said...

Pancakes will await you and to top it off.......REAL MAPLE SYRUP!!!
Can't wait to see you on Thursday!