Friday, March 5, 2010

Tomorrow...Italy

We have concluded our second class of the semester. Reformation History proved to be a challenge for students, professor, and academic coordinators alike. The first week we were traveling and trying to juggle a class here and there when we could. Even so, it was quite interesting. I've already told you about our runs which were definitely a highlight, and I look forward to more runs in more foreign cities as we set off on another academic tour. But I am getting ahead of myself.
In Wittenberg we saw the necessary sights: the Wittenberg doors, and the stadtkirche. We also met and had coffee with a German couple. They didn't really speak English...at all. The lady barely spoke any English and her husband didn't speak any at all. It was such a blessing to meet them. He was a local photographer and gladly shared his pictures with all of us.

As you can probably imagine, being in the places where Luther was seeing places that were there five hundred years ago made it easier to imagine what he and others went through. I was looking through my text book today, looking for some information for my paper, when I came across some copies of paintings that I got to see in person or places that I have been! It was exciting.
By the time we reached, Heidelberg, though, we were all exhausted. We were given Saturday afternoon to do whatever we wanted. I chose to walk along the Neckar River, through a couple of parks, and into downtown. It was a beautiful day and I felt delightfully refreshed.
Tomorrow morning we leave for Italy. The next two weeks promise to stretch our brains and our endurance. We have textbooks to read for two classes in the next fourteen days. We will also be traveling, in itself exhausting. When we get back we are going to have two classes at once (meaning that we'll be in class until around 5:00 every day). So, if you don't hear from me for awhile, that is where I am! See you in a couple weeks (hopefully sooner)!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No don't leave us. What will I read while I eat my cheerios? You could at least type one sentence, like the last sentence you just read in your text book. I think we would find that interesting. I hope you go see the catacombs while you are in Italy. super interesting. Image living there underground for a couple of years.

Anonymous said...

Who is the beautiful young lady in the white sweater? She appears to be having a great time.;) She better be enjoying her vacation.;)Have fun in Italy!!! Dad